Friday, February 09, 2007

coffee breaking

Okay, let me preface this post by stating that I like my job. Hells yeah. In fact, I'm just happy to be working. Period. The fact that I get work at the CBC - with people I actually like and respect, write scripts and produce a website...icing on the cake.

Now, that that's out of the way - on with the bitching... I am working my ass off, I don't mind saying. This is a good thing. I try to remind myself of this everytime I teeter close to exhaustion. Why, a few months ago I was whining about unemployment. Damned if I do... gobsmacked if I don't.

I currently work in an odd cubby-hole tucked into a corner of the CBC. It is affectionately called the "Squash Court" because of it's 50 ft ceiling and strange windows that look into other rooms - not the outdoors. When I say 'affectionately' I mean not affectionately. The square footage is postage stamp-sized, making the dimensions even stranger. The air does not move and it hardly services the 15 people who work here. Some days its Dickensian cold in here, others - it's menopausal hot. Every morning is like a scratch card - except you never really win anything. But, hey - I'm not complaining. If not complaining means complaining - a lot.

On the bright side - the REALLY bright side - we are moving to a new space. And apparently the lights in the new space are brighter than heaven, if heaven's fluorscent lit. I do hope we can work around this lighting issue. I am no spring chicken and at the best of times my skin is the colour of flour and water. Fingers crossed.

In reality, it will be nice to have windows, a toilet within walking distance, running water and a desk that doesn't conspire to cripple me. And paycheques are cool. In fact, they're the coolest.

I don't really have a point - I just felt like bitching to someone and you came here on your own volition, so I don't really feel sorry for you. I'm actually pretty busy feeling sorry for myself. Do you like it how I mix the complaining with the counting of the blessings? I do that, just in case some sort of even-steven deity is reading.

Kisses on your lipses...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you mixed that up ..feels like the book 'The Powerbook' I am reading right now.
I am hardly getting threw winter.Will be going to see David Gogo tonight ,hope that gets some circulation going. I know you didn't ask but I am sure you care.

2/10/2007 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Website? Did you put a link up to that?

2/10/2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I my very own self am planning to wear sunglasses and a visored cap at my desk. Sarcastic and passive-aggressive? Yes. Just like me.

2/10/2007 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in the dark. For me, it is partially to visually drown out the distractions so that the code (or Final Cut) and I can wage war.

2/12/2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Melanie J Watts said...

The only light comes from the glow of the fire or the glow of my MacBook, take your pick. The snow is piled higher than the windows and more comes down everyday. I being buried alive.

2/15/2007 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fluorscent lights are the great equalizers. Without moody desk lamps people are forced to use more than dimmers and funny action figures to define their workplace personality.

I also think we should all wear the same brown suits and carry identical lunch pails.

The only exception is one 'Family Circus' cartoon per cubicle.

That's just me.

2/15/2007 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shhh. I hear this is a banned posting. I also notice its been altered from the original text. Remember when the world had a sense of humour? Those were good times.

3/12/2007 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home