Sunday, June 27, 2004

insomnia got a grip on me.
i'm reading some old stuff i wrote.
i used to write a weekly column in the school newspaper.
this one was one of my favourites -
that is, it was the most fun to write.



Broad's Eye View - January 2003
The Other Press, Douglas College, http://otherpress.douglas.bc.ca/

Welcome back. I trust you are all well-rested and rearing to blaze academic trails in this second semester of our lord, 2003. I don't know about you, but I like to kind of ease my way into a new year - you know, make sure it's a good fit -don't want to be rushing into anything willy-nilly. January is a good month for self-reflection and to take the time to deal with any unresolved issues from the previous year. As a columnist for the illustrious Other Press, I receive scads of reader mail. Of course, I can't be expected to respond to everyone - I am only one woman - but in the spirit of the fledgling new year, I would like to kick things off with a letter I received in December 2002:

(lovingly untouched by the Other Press proofreaders, this letter appears in the exact format in which it was received)

Re: November 27th Broad's Eye View


Your comment bottom 2nd column "I'm like a rummie with a $10 bill in the mouthwash aisle."
Why wouldn't you portray this as a fat pig in the ice cream aisle or a bulimic in the diuretic aisle. Maybe a "dog" in the make-up aisle or even a street person on any given day.
For a student who should profess to be socially sensitive to the communities fallibilities, you show a remarkable lack of tack and total lack of education regarding substance abuse.
I don't think anybody would have accused Ralph Klein (you may not like him, but the people of Alberta must if he keeps getting re-elected) of hanging out in the mouthwash aisle. Nor Winston Churchill or Brian Mulroney for that matter (they were also an alcoholics).
Maybe you should spend a day in their shoes before you make crass and insensitive commentary
I good rule of thumb is to think when you write, not just write to please, but write to inform and hopefully say something insightful.
This column is aimed to please the lowest common denominator and a retraction should be issued along with and apology.

Kent


Well, Kent thanks for the feedback and the creative suggestions, even though some of them are a little unrealistic. I mean really, it's a bit far-fetched to expect me to spend a day in the shoes of everyone I intend to make crass and insensitive comments about. I'm all for field research, but I do have my studies to attend to. I also cannot profess to be socially sensitive, but I promise to work on my "lack of tack." And while I agree, a fat pig in the ice cream aisle would have been funnier; I think that's a little offensive.

I am however completely onside with your Ralph Klein comment. Journalistic integrity demands specificity - it is unforgivable to slur the good name of rummies without so much as a how-do-you-do to political icons such as Mr. Klein, Mr. Mulroney and Sir Winston Churchill. The devil is in the details, if you will. But let us not date ourselves - the high-profile binge drinker dejour is the honorable Premier Gordon Campbell. And so, in light of current events I am moved to publish the retraction you demanded, as well as extend to the readers of the Other Press my sincere apologies. Please note: November 27th's Broad's Eye View should no longer read, "I'm like a rummie with a $10 bill in the mouthwash aisle." The revised column should instead read, "I'm like Gordon Campbell with a $10 bill in the mouthwash aisle." I have made a serious mistake, and I want to apologize to everyone including my family, my colleagues and the people of British Columbia.

If you read this Kent, I also want to thank you for the poignant rule of thumb you included in your email. Please allow me to share one of my own: in addition to thinking when you write, it is a good idea to use spell-check.

For the rest of you, I feel I should point out that Kent did refer to you as the "lowest common denominator." I leave the ball in your court.

Send your warm fuzzies or cold pricklies to broadeyeview@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home