Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Hey! Guess whose hideous zit finally disappeared? And while we're playing this super fun game, can you also guess who just got blasted with another cold sore? I sure do miss my immune system. We used to have such good times together! Fighting off disease and disaster like old pros.
Sure, it's no surprise. I'm not in the best shape, physically. I'm pretty run down and I'm a certified stresskitten - no doubt - but, this is getting a bit extreme. I haven't been hit this badly since I was a lemon gin-swilling teen. So depressing and distressing... and pretty! Just lovely.

Also, I am going to buy the much chit-chatted about "He's Just Not That Into You." No, it's not exactly a hot topic anymore, but it's new to me. I've been told about it by numerous female friends, and the great overlord Oprah recommends it. I've been reading bits and pieces online and it's funny how marketable common sense is, but there is something a bit too quick and clever about it. I dunno. Whenever I read something and I find myself saying "wow, this is soooo true! this is about me!" I get a little uncomfortable. I feel the same way when I read Douglas Coupland. I enjoy it, but I also feel a bit used and like someone has eaten me alive a bit and served it back to me. It's all a bit neurotic and self-absorbed and well...too much like me to take sometimes. I will have to read the whole thing to make up my mind about this one.

Here is an excerpt from the book:

The "Maybe I Don't Want to Play Games" Excuse

Dear Greg,

This is dumb. I know you're not supposed to call guys, but I call guys all the time because I don't care! I don't want to play games. I do whatever I want! I've called guys tons of times. You're such a square, Greg. Why do you think we can't call guys and ask them out?

Nikki

Dear Nikki,

Because we don't like it. Okay, some guys might like it, but they're just lazy. And who wants to go out with Lazy Guy? It's that simple. I didn't make the rules and I might not even agree with them. Please don't be mad at me, Nikki. I'm not advocating that women go back to the Stone Age. I just think you might want to be realistic in how capable you are of changing the primordial impulses that drive all of human nature.

Or maybe you're the chosen one.

Men, for the most part, like to pursue women. We like not knowing if we can catch you. We feel rewarded when we do. Especially when the chase is a long one. We know there was a sexual revolution. (We loved it.) We know women are capable of running governments, heading multinational corporations, and raising loving children — sometimes all at the same time. That, however, doesn't make men different.


I'll get back to y'all about this if I can manage to get my ass to a bookseller in the near future. You just sit tight. And in the meantime - men, please try to stop breaking women's hearts and women, you try to stop being so...so womanly.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home