Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sounds like...



I landed another story. Go me! I am digging on this whole freelance thing, I mean you can't beat the hours, I work for myself and my boss is totally hot. The problem is, as far as I can see, that you don't get paid for not what seems like months, but really is months. Apparently, freelancers should have enough money banked to survive for AT LEAST half a year - a year preferably. I fear I am off to a poor start as my chequing account is currently sitting at a shallow -$628. Oh, and there is that $400 I owe to my kind and affectionate benefactor aaaannnd the $100 I owe my dad and I won't even go into my student loan situation. So, yeah... It will take me a good 10 years to get out of the hole and then maybe another 5 years to bank a year's wages. That is if I can make some money writing... You can see the problem here, right?

You know what makes me ill? The amount of money it would take to give me a chance in life is what someone would spend on a new car. Now there's no need to remind me that I live a privileged life, that there are people with REAL problems out there. I am aware that it could be much worse. And believe me, I know no one owes me a thing. Yeah, yeah - I'm a bad person, I get it. And don't think I'm crying "no fair", because clearly this isn't about fairness. One man/woman's wealth doesn't factor into my poverty but really, it's totally not fair.

I don't suppose there's any way to redeem myself after this pitiful post... Well, I'll tell you this: I'm good in bed and I don't harm animals, unless you count eating them... See? How likeable is that?

Didn't this start out with a "Go me!"? I probably should have left it at that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Go you!

I think I may have found the fundamental flaw in your thinking:

And believe me, I know no one owes me a thing.

This is where you're wrong. Everyone does owe you everything. Believe this and the world is your oyster served on a bed of crushed ice with a side of hot sauce and a lemon wedge. These days, every girl needs a pair of pants that make her ass look great AND a massive sense of entitlement.

Hmm... this is starting to sound disturbingly Ayn Rand-y. I think I should start a newsletter.

6/28/2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

(Whoa. Sorry for sounding all preachy up there. I just had a profoundly life-affirming experience with a Biore nose strip, so I'm feeling all rah-rah-rah right now. It won't last.)

6/28/2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, keep everything after "Go me!" I agree with Doppleganger 100% It's frickin not fair... It's true that the world will pay you back for your hard work in bits and delayed pieces. But it still owes ya... Besides, "anybody who is anybody" knows starvin' talented writers are sexy. So here's to the next step towards your literary empire... I expect to be invited to and snubbed at your salons...

6/28/2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, ya, what doppelganger said . Except I have more I want to say but don't know how to say it ..this is why the world needs word smiths such as yourself.

If it makes you feel better it is going to take 5 years to pay off the car.

god damn, secret code..wwwirrhej

6/30/2006 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home