Sunday, August 06, 2006

What else did I do today....?

Today, after I met with a woman about some writing work, I came across a stranger picking blackberries. He asked me if I had the time - I told him the time and then asked him if he knew the way to the swimming pool. He said 'I'm going that way, I'll give you a lift.' I hesitated and he said asked if he looked like a murderer. How would I know? I've never met a murderer properly. So I took the lift. Stupid? Obviously. But at the time it seemed like the simplest solution.

He was a real stranger, all right. Not just strange to me...strange all over. Oddly dressed and the sort of fellow who talks on and on. When he started the car an opera CD blared. I typed 911 into my phone - placed my finger above the 'send' key and we were off.

Within a minute I learned that he: is recently divorced, lived in Australia for 2 years, lived in Japan for many years (met his wife there), has no children, hates reality television, has a lawyer sister who has three children and so on and so forth. He is a graphic novelist who lives off of Commercial drive in an apartment that is far too hot to work in. There was more - much more.

He didn't really possess an edit button. He said whatever he wanted. He seemed to think it was a stroke of fate that we crossed paths. I suspected he would have chatted up anyone or anything that crossed his path. He walked me to the pool and then stuck around for a while. His conversation grew more inappropriate and he became overly familiar. My dear friend Lola had to gently tell him to go away.

And all I have to say about all this is...What the fuck was I thinking? AND never accept a ride from a man picking blackberries wearing a bandana and a towel. And now I will go count my blessings and thank some deity or another for sparing my life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just plain strange, but people do odd things. Next time "I like to walk" is a good phrase to remember. ;-)

Glad nothing teen-horror-movie-ish happened.

8/07/2006 6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How were the blackberries? Isn't it a bit early for blackberries?

8/07/2006 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wanting to believe the best in people thankfully was the only crime here.

oh and we have been making blackberrie crumble for a week now.

8/07/2006 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. just wow.

8/07/2006 8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha. Nah... I always say risk it with strangers... they always make for a good story :P

8/09/2006 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home