Thursday, June 07, 2007

Live music and a sore bottom



Last night I went to see CSS at Richards and I'm happy to report I enjoyed myself a whole lot. The opening band cancelled (yay) and the show was super energetic and fun. No one seemed to take themselves too seriously and that's pretty fucking amazing considering the off-the-chart hip factor in the joint.

Some point-form observations (sorry, point-form is all I'm really capable these days)

- there are A LOT of pretty young things in Vancouver
- pretty young things like American Apparel. A lot.
- there were actually guys my age there
- the smell of cologne and beer is quite nice actually
- I was given a huge amount of grief because I didn't have any ID. I was forced to convince 2 bouncers that in reality I'm old, dried up and no threat to the drinking laws of BC. Finally, I showed them my CBC ID and that seemed to do the trick.
- CSS is made up of hot chicks and a lucky dude
- although the lead singer is the obvious favourite among the testosterone set, I found the slightly butch bass player to be very sexy
- the show was "tight". funny.
- people were dancing like no one was watching
- I HATE crowd surfing. It's just dangerous.
- I am still embarrassed for the poor drunken girl who got up on stage and over-stayed her welcome for a whole song.
- I ran into people I haven't seen in a long time. It was interesting.
- Thankfully, I ran into a friend so I was able to steer clear of the "people I haven't seen in a long time"
- I got a ride home and saved myself $20 in cab fare. Go me.
- I smoked and I paid for it. There, everyone happy now?

So, yeah -- that's about it. It was a good night.

It was not a good morning, however. Some stupid, stupid asshole opened his car door on me when I was riding down a BIKE PATH. I braked and managed to slow down a bit but the door managed to knock me right on my ass, which in hindsight (ha ha) is a good thing as I wasn't wearing a helmet.

He (some white fat grumpy old guy) helped me up, but didn't even apologize. He asked me if I was okay, inspected his door and gave me a dirty look. Instead of being mad at him, I was embarrassed. He asked me again if I was OK. I felt OK and there didn't seem to be any damage to my bike or to his precious door for that matter and so I said yes and he left. But now my tail bone is fucking sore and I'm furious with myself for not at least telling him off. No, it wasn't really all that serious. But still... I feel like I hit a whole new level of doormat-ness.

I just wanted to get up and get going before anyone came over. Some lady across the street hollered at me asking if I needed any help. I assured her I was fine and got back on my bike and tried to ride away in what I hoped was a dignified manner. But my legs were shaking so badly, I had to stop on the corner and rest. It was all I could do to stop myself from bawling. Mind you, I did a fair bit of that once I got home. I guess it was misplaced adrenaline.

Anyhoo, I'm calm now. Sore and smarter too. I will try to find my helmet. Now I am going back to bed. Because I can.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus, are you okay? And do you really need to be told to wear a helmet? Vancouver city streets are crazy. Tisk, tisk, tisk!

6/07/2007 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your accident. Luckily it doesn't seem too serious. (I hope it's getting better)

Don't feel bad about not telling him off. Drivers get kind of psychotic, even when they're not behind the wheel. I've had the misfortune of seeing two incidents where a driver got out to argue with a cyclist over some lane-changing or door opening issue. Both times the driver attacked the cyclist. The first cyclist was a young woman. The second an old man. In both cases the driver was a man in his 30s in fine health and not at all afraid to use every inch of his strength. (absolutely berserk, frightening and revolting)

I've stopped giving the bird when I ride now. Too scared of road rage.

6/08/2007 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always get a lisence plate! You should be getting physio from ICBC and maybe wage loss as you can't sit and write...

6/12/2007 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home